Monday, October 14, 2013

Project Two - Color

Project Two was about the use of color and how it can be applied to different types of art. Before starting the final portion of the project I created a color wheel and demonstrated different types of shades of purple and orange. I did these two activities to familiarize my self with color. For the project I used the theme When I Awoke, and an analogous color scheme. The media I choose to use for this project was watercolor, a pen, and colored pencils. I used watercolor to paint the background of the painting and used colored pencils to enhance the background by giving it more texture. The pen was used to draw the birds flying through the sky. The painting I chose to do was a painting of the morning sky with birds flying in the distance. I was inspired to create this painting when I thought of what it is I see when I awake. One of the first things I thought of was how the sky tends to look early in the morning. I also thought of what would be in the sky very early in the morning and I imagined a group of birds flying in the tranquil morning sky. The reason for the sky being so fascinating early in the morning is because of the profound colors which dominant the sky. As night fades away and the light of day is begins to arise, the sky develops a dark purple color along with some blue , and a bit of orange and yellow on the horizon as the sun begins to rise. The dark birds flying in the distance add to the effect of a morning sky and catch the eye of people who view the painting. During the course of completing Project Two, I learned a few different things that I had not known before. The first things I learned were different types of color such as primary, secondary, tertiary, and complementary. Two other aspects of color I leaned about were tint and shade. Tint and shade can significantly enhance the painting by making it look more powerful and detailed. Another thing I learned during this project was how to correctly use watercolor when painting the sky. In order to paint the sky, one must take a couple steps to achive their goal. Painting the sky with watercolor requires different layers of paint and the use of water to make certain parts lighter. I also leaned that the correct use of color can make a painting look absolutely astonishing and brings the painting to life. The painting I made uses very distinct shades of  purple, blue, yellow, and orange  which make the sky look detailed and realistic, and the birds flying give the painting life and tie it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment